Watch Bossier Deputy Save Benton Student from Corn Dog
Quite a scare at Benton Middle School during lunchtime. A student was struggling to swallow a piece of corn dog and he stood up and walked toward the school resource office, Bossier Deputy Jeremy Johnston. The deputy noticed the student was struggling to breathe and his face was bright red. He asked the boy if he was choking. The student nodded that, yes he was.
Johnston jumped into gear and pulled the young man out into the hallway where he performed the Heimlich maneuver on the boy and out came a large hunk of corndog the student had just eaten which had gotten stuck in his throat.
The boy was checked out by the school nurse and he then went back to his classes for the day.
This is not the first rodeo for Deputy Johnston. He has performed life-saving measures on a student or staff member during his time as an SRO. Across Bossier Parish, this is the fourth time in recent years that an SRO has successfully assisted a student or staff member who was choking.
“By being observant and following his training, Deputy Johnston was able to save the life of this young man. I am proud to recognize Deputy Johnston for his quick thinking and action that helped us avoid a potential tragedy,” said Sheriff Whittington.