Shreveport Police Issue Warrant for Sexual Assault of Juvenile
On February 3rd, 2023, a warrant was issued for the arrest of Shawn Betters (7-3-91) for one count of first-degree rape.
Betters is suspected of sexual assault on a juvenile. Here are the definitions of what constitutes First-degree rape :
(1) When the victim resists the act to the utmost, but whose resistance is overcome by force.
(2) When the victim is prevented from resisting the act by threats of great and immediate bodily harm, accompanied by apparent power of execution.
(3) When the victim is prevented from resisting the act because the offender is armed with a dangerous weapon.
(4) When the victim is under the age of thirteen years. Lack of knowledge of the victim's age shall not be a defense.
(5) When two or more offenders participated in the act.
(6) When the victim is prevented from resisting the act because the victim suffers from a physical or mental infirmity preventing such resistance.
If convicted, he could face up to life imprisonment at hard labor without the benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence. The suspect is innocent until proven guilty.