Space Heater Causes Early Morning Fire in Shreveport
Shreveport Fire crews were dispatched at 2:42 a.m. Wednesday (1/5/22) to a reported house fire in the 2700 block of Lakehurst Ave. in the Sunset Acres neighborhood. The call originated from multiple callers who noticed heavy smoke exiting the structure.
The first fire crew arrived on scene four minutes after being dispatched by Communication Officers. Firefighters reported heavy smoke and flames visible from the front of a one-story wood-framed structure. Fire crews extinguished the blaze from the interior of the structure while protecting an adjacent home.
The home housed two adults who were able to safely escape prior to fire units arrival. One of the occupants stated the fire started in the front bedroom while he was sleep. The occupant reports waking up to smoke in close proximity of his electric space heater. After further investigation by SFD’s Fire Investigator, it was determined that the origin was from the space heater. It took the efforts of — 24 firefighters and support—10 minutes to bring the situation under control.
The heavy fire and smoke damage left the home uninhabitable. The American Red Cross was contacted to seek assistance for the occupants. There were no injuries to firefighters or citizens.
The Shreveport Fire Department would like to remind citizens on some simple safety tips regarding space heater usage:
• Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from the space heater
• Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn off when leaving a room or sleeping
• Never plug a space heater into an extension cord
• Operate space heaters on level, flat surfaces on the ground
• Never use a space heater or any appliance with a damaged cord
• Always follow manufactures recommendations