4th of July Random Facts
We all know that the 4th of July is the celebration of our nations independence. At least I hope we do. But here are 8 random facts about the 4th of July you can use to impress your friends with this 4th of July.
- Fireworks are not the only the biggest selling item for 4th of July. The 4th of July is also the biggest holiday for beer sales. Americans buy a total of 68.3 million cases of beer on the 4th. The rest of the top five are: Labor Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day, and Christmas.
- There were 11,000 injuries last 4th of July related to fireworks. There was only one reported death last year...a guy balanced a mortar shell on his head. Yeah, who would have guessed that would have ended badly.
- New York City had the largest 4th of July fireworks display using 22 tons of fireworks. That's about as much as 6 elephants. How's that for a mental picture?
- In 1776, the year we declared our nations independence the population of the U.S. was 2.5 million, that's just shy of Chicago's population today. Today, the United States of American is the home of the brave and land of the free over 311 million!
- About 80% of the American Flags in the US are made in China.
- There is no other holiday where American's spend more on fireworks than on the 4th of July. American spend about $600 million on fireworks.
- It's all about the condiments on the 4th. Americans spend $203 million on the fixin's for burgers and hot dogs. We spend just $193 million on hamburger meat.
- The 4th of July American's like to fire up the grill and cool of with a popsicle spending $111 million on the pair.
Here's more 4th of July randomness:
Click image to enlarge
Via: VA Home Loans