Everything You Need To Know For the Centaur Parade
Mardi Gras season is upon us. Which is a great time to go out, get hammered with friends and enjoy yourself. But there are lots of things YOU need to know. For instance, not that you should ever drive drunk, but you REALLY don't want to do it during this time of the year. Shreveport have already schedule a ton of DWI checkpoints and will have extra forces out looking for drunk drivers.
With that out of the way, the first big parade of the year is Saturday. The Krewe of Centaur Parade rolls at 4:30 pm and runs from Lake Street to the Shreveport Barksdale Highway. Police and the Krewe have TONS of rules posted.
Below is a list of EVERYTHING you need to know:
- Parking on East Kings Highway is reserved parking for permit holders only.
- No parking is allowed before 7am on parade day on Shreveport-Barksdale Highway (including all neutral ground) or the Clyde Fant Parkway.
- No parking beyond the white lines only. Citizens cannot park where areas are clearly roped off and marked.
- No parking is allowed on Captain Shreve Drive.
- Restricted parking is allowed on the residential streets from Albany Avenue to Patton Avenue. Some streets allow parking only on one side; other streets forbid parking. Look for parking signs and remember: the streets must remain clear for emergency vehicles. Violators could be towed.
- Handicapped parking is available at the East Kings Highway Park, also known as the Duck Pond, and at the Veterans Memorial Park on Clyde Fant Parkway. A handicap parking tag or plate will be necessary to gain access.
Parade day street closures
- At 8:30am, Crockett Street from Market Street to Clyde Fant Parkway.
- At 8:30am,Clyde Fant Parkway from Lake Street to Milam Street.
- Residents can gain access to Sci-Port until 4pm using Lake Street.
- At 2:00 p.m., Shreveport-Barksdale Highway (eastbound and westbound) east of the construction at East Kings Highway. East Kings Highway (eastbound and westbound) west of the construction at East Kings Highway. East Kings Highway (northbound and southbound) south of the construction at Shreveport-Barksdale Highway.
- At 3:30pm, the following streets will close: East Kings Highway at Preston Avenue, East Kings Highway at Youree Drive, Shreveport-Barksdale Highway (including the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge), Clyde Fant Parkway from Milam Street to Shreveport-Barksdale Highway, East Preston Avenue will be closed to through traffic at East Kings Highway, Captain Shreve Drive, Knight Street, and Clyde Fant Parkway once the parade turns onto East Kings Highway.
- Lake Street will only be open between the hours of 10am and 10pm on parade day.
- Clyde Fant Parkway between East 70th Street and Shreveport-Barksdale Highway will remain open.
- Knight Street will remain open from East Preston Avenue to Shreveport Barksdale Highway
Shreveport - Barksdale Bridge to close for Centaur Parade
The Bossier City Police Department will close the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge to all westbound traffic going into Shreveport beginning at approximately 3pm on Saturday for the Krewe of Centaur parade.
The bridge closure will remain in effect until the parade concludes later that evening. Service roads that run along Westgate Drive east of the bridge in Bossier City will reamain open so that motorists will be able to access businesses and residences in the area.
- Over 200 law enforcement officers from the Shreveport Police Department will be working the parade. Officers will be in patrol cars, on foot, on motorcycles.
- Police will utilize several mounted cameras to monitor the parade route.
- Police will have command buses on Stoner Avenue near Clyde Fant Parkway, in Shreve City and on East Kings Highway.
- The Shreveport Fire Department will have EMS crews stationed throughout the parade route.
No Throw Areas
- In the staging area on Clyde Fant Parkway north of Lake Street.
- The railroad tracks over Clyde Fant Parkway just north of Veteran’s Memorial Park.
- Stoner Avenue bridge over Clyde Fant Parkway.
- The exit from Clyde Fant Parkway to Shreveport-Barksdale Highway.
- The transitioning curve from Shreveport-Barksdale Highway to East Kings Highway.
- Past the ending banner on East Kings Highway and any points thereafter.
- No alcohol will be allowed on Clyde Fant Parkway from the railroad trestle just north of Veteran’s Memorial Park to Stoner Avenue. This area has been designated the alcohol-free family zone. Violators will be subject to arrest.
- No glass bottles or containers will be allowed on the parade route.
- No one may cross parade barricades during the parade.
- No animals are allowed within 200 yards of the parade route, except animals that are in secured yards of residents living along the parade route and service animals.
- No dangerous objects or silly string.
- No one may throw anything at a parade float.
- Large flags or banners are not allowed within 50 feet of the parade route.
- No underage possession of alcohol. Violators will be subject to arrest.
- No public nudity will be tolerated. Violators will be subject to arrest.
- Don’t leave children unattended! Make plans to meet up at a particular location in case children become separated from guardians during the parade.
- Do not fight or struggle over beads.
- Keep a safe distance from the floats.
- Keep valuables at home, and make sure cars are securely locked.
- Don’t take purses or wallets to parades. Keep money and I.D. in pants pockets.
- Extinguish hot coals after cooking. Do not dump hot coals on the grass.
- Obey all traffic signs and directions from officers.
- Use common sense and treat others like you would want to be treated!!!!!