Valentine's Day sees a considerable spike in the purchase of floral arrangements across the United States and Louisiana.

However, amidst the excitement of gifting, there's a vital consideration that pet owners shouldn't overlook: the potential toxicity of certain flowers to their furry companions.

Highway 98.9 logo
Get our free mobile app

With an estimated $2 billion spent on flowers during Valentine's Day in the U.S. alone, it's crucial for pet owners and gift-givers alike to be mindful of the floral choices they make.

While the allure of a stunning bouquet is undeniable, some flowers commonly found in these arrangements can pose serious health risks to cats and dogs.

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests Toxic Valentine's Day Flowers

As much as we try to keep our furry friends safe, accidents can happen, especially during holidays like Valentine's Day when toxic flowers are commonly exchanged as gifts.

1. Recognize the Signs: Be vigilant for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy, difficulty breathing, and changes in behavior. These could indicate poisoning and require immediate attention.

2. Contact Your Veterinarian: If you suspect your pet has ingested toxic flowers, contact your veterinarian or the nearest emergency veterinary clinic immediately. Provide them with details such as the type of flower ingested, the quantity, and the time of ingestion.

3. Do Not Wait: Time is of the essence in cases of poisoning. Waiting to seek help could worsen your pet's condition and increase the risk of serious complications.

4. Follow Professional Advice: Your veterinarian will provide guidance based on your pet's symptoms and the type of flower ingested. They may recommend inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, or other treatments to mitigate the effects of the toxicity.

5. Monitor Your Pet: After seeking veterinary care, closely monitor your pet for any changes in condition. Follow any instructions provided by your veterinarian for post-treatment care and follow-up appointments.

6. Prevent Future Incidents: Take steps to prevent your pet from accessing toxic flowers in the future. Keep bouquets out of reach, opt for pet-safe flowers, or consider non-floral gifts to show your affection without risking your pet's health.

Toxic Flowers To Avoid If You Have Pets

  • Lilies
  • Hyacinths
  • Carnations
  • Tulips
  • Ranunculus

Non-Toxic Flowers Options

  • Roses
  • Sunflowers
  • Gerber Daisies
  • Orchids
  • Snapdragons

LOOK: Here Are 30 Foods That Are Poisonous to Dogs

To prepare yourself for a potential incident, always keep your vet's phone number handy, along with an after-hours clinic you can call in an emergency. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center also has a hotline you can call at (888) 426-4435 for advice.

Even with all of these resources, however, the best cure for food poisoning is preventing it in the first place. To give you an idea of what human foods can be dangerous, Stacker has put together a slideshow of 30 common foods to avoid. Take a look to see if there are any that surprise you.

Gallery Credit: Rachel Cavanaugh