Have You Tried the Food Shack?
I am a firm believer, you can judge a restaurant on their ranch. Is there anything worse than ordering a salad and getting store bought dressing? The reason I was interested in trying out Food Shack is because they make everything in house, from the ranch and Cajun sauce to the batter the use on their Boudin balls. My biggest mistake was walking into Food Shack in Bossier. My food choices will never be the same. I was not prepared for the revival that was about to take place in my mouth. I came up with a list of food you must try when you go in to this one of a kind Ark-La-Tex restaurant.
- Catfish and fries, the breading on the catfish is unlike anything I have ever had, seriously, I can't explain it. JUST TRUST YOUR BIG GIRL ON THIS ONE!
- Bouidin Balls. Oh my lord, seriously dip them in Cajun sauce, they're the best and you don't have to drive to Natchitoches to get your fix!
- Meat Pies, guess who doesn't have to drive over an hour to get meat pies in Natchitoches anymore?
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, get ready it's the best comfort food ever.
- Onion Rings! Their ranch is second to none. Dip the onion rings in the ranch and you'll be in heaven.
- Chicken Strips. Just order them, you won't regret it. It beats stealing them from your kids plate. So good, did I mention the ranch and Cajun sauce make for the best dipping sauces?
Let's just be open and honest, the infatuation with catfish blows my mind. It tastes muddy, you have to load up on tartar sauce to mask the taste. I never ordered catfish because of that. This fried catfish can change anyone's mind. Pair it with their wonderful secret Cajun sauce and you're in heaven.
We talked to Josh and Renee who help run the Food Shack and we found out about the elusive Chef Mimi. She is the chef who never went to culinary school but is well known in our community. In fact, the community is who gave the new restaurant the name. Up until Food Shack opened on Airline road you would have to work at Teleperformance to try Mimi's cooking. The restaurant called Gumbo Daddy's was referred to as the Food Shack by all of the regulars who worked at Teleperformance. Luckily for us Mimi and her secret recipes made it to Airline road and now many of us can enjoy the wonderful recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation in Mimi's family. You can find Food Shack at 4200 Airline Dr #800, Bossier City, LA 7111.