Shreveport FD Responds to House Fire
Fire crews from the Shreveport Fire Department were dispatched to the 1600 block of Russell Road around 10P on Wednesday night to find a single story wood-framed structure fully engulfed in flames.
Firefighters had to mostly take defensive actions to protect surrounding homes and buildings, and fought to extinguish the blaze. According to the Shreveport Fire Department, the call required 9 fire units, and 27 firefighters 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.
Fortunately, the structure was vacant, and there were no reported injuries to any firefighters. Officials remind residents to make sure they have a working smoke detector located in strategic locations throughout their home, to help prevent such a disaster.
During the colder winter months, space heaters are a major contributor to the number of house fires. Not surpisingly, FEMA reports that half of all home heating fires occur in December, January, and February. Officials remind you to make sure your space heaters are operating safely, and effectively.
According to the NFPA:
Heating is the second leading cause of US home fires and home fire injuries and third leading cause of home fire deaths. December, January and February are the peak months for heating fires. Space heaters are the type of equipment most often involved in home heating equipment fires, accounting for more than two of every five fires (44%), as well as the vast majority of deaths and injuries in home fires caused by heating equipment.
If you or someone you know needs a free smoke detector, please contact the Shreveport Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau at 318-673-6740.
Here Are Some Ways to Trim Your Grocery Bill
Need Comfort Food? Here's the Top 10 Spots in Shreveport